Johannesburg (CNN) Insurgents beheaded scores of people in Mozambique's northernmost province of Cabo Delgado in a series of attacks that began on October 31 and lasted several days, an eyewitness told CNN, confirming earlier state media reports.
"They found several corpses without life," he said, adding, "I can still see smoke.
A local priest in the district told CNN that entire families were killed, citing accounts from relatives and others who had fled the area.
On Monday, Mozambican police announced to state media that more than 50 people had been rounded up and beheaded on a soccer pitch in town during the attacks, a claim that CNN could not verify.
State media also reported the militants had abducted women and children.
Cabo Delgado, Read
CNN, Muidumbe District, Mozambican
Johannesburg, Mozambique's, Cabo, Muidumbe